I love a good workout. You know, the kind where your drenched in sweat, legs are shaking, and your arms feel like jello and you cannot wait to shower. I know I am not alone here! Ever since high school, I have taken group fitness classes. Either at a local gym OR at my mom’s fitness studio in Pittsburgh! I continued to do so in college. I would make sure I would attend, I “penciled” the classes into my schedule, grab my girlfriends, and would head to the university gym. My favorites classes included and still include Power Step, Body PUMP/body sculpting, spinning, zumba…the list goes on. I loved taking classes so much, that I got my group fitness and personal training certification a few years ago!
After I graduated college, moved home…and started my “big girl” life and now living on my own…I would attend classes here and there at my moms studio…but not like I did in the past. Long story short….My career as a wellness/fitness coordinator and personal trainer/group fitness instructor got in the way. I know, sounds crazy! People think I exercise all day long. And Yes, some days, I do. So when its time for my workout…I am tired!! And that’s the problem. Say WHAAAAAT! I LOVE teaching classes and challenging my participates in my classes, I feel like I will always be a group fitness instructor. I love coming up with routines and new ways to workout the same muscles and finding NEW music. However….Sometimes I like to be the student. I thought I would share my top five reasons to take a group fitness class…even for those of you who enjoy working out on your own!
1. Motivation. It might sound cliche, but it is SO true. There is nothing like being in a room filled with people who are all there to WORKOUT. The instructor is pushing you, the participants are pushing you…It all keeps you accountable. Its so motivating to me when I hear the instructor say….higher, push, legs stronger…so on and so forth! If you find you lack motivation in the middle of your workout…group fitness may be just what you need.
2. New Moves. As an instructor and fitness professional, I am always looking for new and challenging exercises. Even before I was an instructor, I would love to find new innovative moves to do on my own in the gym or at home. It may be as simple as a new way to do a lunge or a shoulder press. But the important thing is…I feel like it freshens up my personal workouts. Also, if your instructor keeps the same routine for a few weeks…you can perfect your moves, becoming stronger.
3. Pushes you outside of your comfort zone. I am speaking for myself here, but when I teach a group fitness class, I am watching the participants to make sure the are safe in their form. I am not totally concentrating on my workout. So when I take a class, its my time to focus on ME. Group fitness classes push me in my fitness level. They push me outside of my comfort zone…takes my heart rate to the next level, my lunges a little lower, or even my sprint a little faster. They allow me to work extra hard. Being motivated to keep pace with the rest of the crowd means that you’ll be challenged to work harder. Working out on our own can be fantastic, but I know me…and I tend not to work as hard as when I am alone.
4. Socialization. Another cliche, but again, SO TRUE! I love seeing familiar faces as well as seeing new faces. I love meeting new people. I am always asking friends to join me in my classes. Its much healthier than a happy hour…some days lol! Many people in my group fitness classes have become friends!
5. Its a BLAST. To me, it is much more fun to do alllllll the moves with others than with yourself…you can dance, kick, lunge, squat, and punch to loud amazing music and sing along. Music is everything to me when I workout. The more enjoyable the workout, the more likely you will be excited to go to the gym. Also, there is SO much variety in group fitness. You can choose step, kickboxing, Pilates, yoga, spinning, bootcamp, zumba…and on and on….soooooo much to choose from!!
There you have it, all the reasons I LOVE group fitness classes. I hope you try a class.
Do you enjoy group fitness. What is your number one reason?!