I am ready for the holidays. Now that snow had made its first appearance in Pittsburgh, I’m ready! I actually enjoyed the snowy, blustery weather over the past two days, call me crazy I know! (I can’t believe I said that!!) It gets me in the holiday spirit. Come January 1st… I’ll want 70 degrees again, for now… I’m loving it!
In the Fall/Winter, I drink A LOT of hot tea. Lots of different types! My favorite, peppermint! Always has been. Last night, I was freezing, needed something to warm me up! I wanted one of my almond milk lattes. This is so easy, I can’t actually call it a recipe. But so worth it’s own post!
Pick your favorite flavor of tea, I picked peppermint!
Next, in a small saucepan boiled 1-1/2 C. milk. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. You can use any type. Whisk continuously until hot and frothy. Pour into your favorite mug along with tea bag for about 3-5 minutes. You can always use half water and milk…add some honey if you’d like! So many variations, be creative!
Cozy up with your favorite book and relax!
I have such a fun and tasty recipe for you today! Oh, and did I mention easy?! I can almost promise that you are going to love it! Right now, I can’t keep my hand out of the bowl. (It also goes very nicely with a glass of Merlot)
I am a huge snacker and so is Nick, so we are always looking for something healthy to snack on at night, especially during those Homeland episodes (I am TOTALLY obsessed with Homeland). Obsessed is actually an understatement.
One of our go to snacks is popcorn. So simple, so tasty. I have always bought the 94% Fat Free popcorn that you throw in the microwave for three minutes…and there ya have it. BUT… a lot of them are filled with chemicals and artificial flavors. Yuck. So I started making air popped popcorn in the microwave…seriously guys, so easy! I will never buy boxed popcorn again.
Last night, I needed something sweet. Plain old air popped corn wasn’t cutting it. So I got to thinking…
Nutty Pumpkin Popcorn
- 1/3 C. Popcorn Kernels OR 6 C. popped Corn
- 1 Brown Paper lunch bag
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 salt (optional)
- 1/2 C. Coarsely chopped Raw Almonds
- 1/4 C. Raw Pepita Seeds (green pumpkin seeds)
- 2 sprays Organic Canola Oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. If you’re going to make your own popcorn, place 1/3 C. kernels in brown paper lunch bag. Fold down three times. About 1/2 inch folds. Place in microwave for about 2.5 minutes OR press the popcorn button. Doesn’t get any easier folks!
- In the mean time, spray cookie sheet with your oil. Heat the honey and brown sugar in sauce pan until melted.
- Add the almonds, pepitas, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in a container. Shake well with lid.
- Add the heated honey mixture to container, shake well.
- Add the nut/seed mixture on cookie sheet. Spread it out evenly. Bake for about 5 minutes. Your nose will let you know when they are done roasting.
- Once the nuts are done, add them to you popcorn in brown paper bag. Shake like a crazy woman, and shake some more. Pour into a bowl or save in a zip-lock bag
So good. Trust me on this guys…make this popcorn!
Hello my friends! I hope you had a fantastic, enjoyable weekend, I know I did!
I have a fun giveaway for all of you today! As you may know, or perhaps have experienced, wooden spoons are often handed down from generation to generation. If you have a fun family story, Tuttorosso Tomatoes would love to hear it and even post about it on their Facebook page (to share with others). They are hosting a contest based on the family stories!
I thought you might be interested that Tuttorosso will be giving away 3,000 wooden spoons and is ending tomorrow, November 12th http://www.facebook.com/tuttorossotomato
– to celebrate the nostalgia and heritage of the wooden spoon in so many classic tomato-based recipes (chili, soup, lasagna, manicotti, salsa, etc.).
Anyone can get in on the wooden spoon random drawings by ‘liking’ Tuttorosso on Facebook and providing some contact information. The winner will win the grand prize of one Tuttorosso personalized heirloom wooden spoon and a 6-piece signature cookware by La Creuset). How Fun!!! So go ahead…share your family history!
I am also having a giveaway from Tuttorosso Tomatoes! Comment below about a favorite family memory that revolves around food! I cant wait to hear them! The winner will be picked randomly tomorrow (Tuesday, November 12) at 6:00 PM!