Monday, we meet again! How was your weekend?! Mine was full of relaxation for the most part, just what I needed! I started watching season 1 of “The Good Wife”….ummm AMAZING! How have I missed this show?!
Lately, I have had SO many people (friends and co-workers) ask about their salt intake. Whether it’s how to lower their sodium intake OR why they gain so much water weight after a salt heavy meal! So I figured I would share some basic ways to avoid those extra pounds!
- Shop for Low sodium options. This may seem obvious to some but something easy to miss. Nowadays, grocery stores really do have 1000 different options. Pay attention to labels and always opt for the salt free or low sodium!
- Skip the Asian food. I know, I know. My heart breaks to even say this. I eat Asian food at least twice a month, and to be real, I am not giving it up either. I am slightly obsessed with it. But just a word of advice, be smart about it. Truth is, it is loaded in salt. Ask for light sauce or even sauce on the side! You can even ask to make the food without MSG!
- Liven up food with spices! There are SO many healthy alternatives to salt. Herbs, salt free spices, basil, oregano, cilantro, lemon pepper, lime juice,fennel…the list goes on! Get creative!
- Eat at home. Eating out can sometimes sabotage our diets. Think smart, choice smart! Better option…eat at home more often! Restaurants often load on the salt heavy foods and toppings!
- Opt for full fat over low-fat/fat-free! Think of it this way…when fat is taken out, most likely something else is added. More often than not its salt or sugar or even added chemicals. YUCK!